BELLEFONTAINE – In conjunction with School Board Recognition Month, the Ohio Hi-Point Career Center Board of Education recognized board members’ years of service during the board meeting held Jan. 10.
Alyssa Dunham (Urbana) and Corey Ledley (Ridgemont) were recognized for one year of service. Doug Chivington (Marysville) and Mike Ludlow (Graham) were recognized for two years of service. Matt McConnell (Triad) was recognized for six years of service to the board. David Campbell (Midwest Regional Educational Service Center) and Paul McMahill (Mechanicsburg) were recognized for seven years of service. Tom Brookhart (Waynesfield-Goshen), Chuck Buck (West Liberty-Salem), and Brian Wright (Riverside) were recognized for eight years of service. Larry Mouser (Midwest Regional Educational Service Center) was recognized for 12 years of service. Russ Blue (Kenton), Kim Boswell (Indian Lake), Jeff Burroughs (Madison-Champaign County Educational Service Center), and Anne Reames (Bellefontaine) were recognized for 14 years of service to the Ohio Hi-Point Board of Education.
“We appreciate the service and dedication our board members show to Ohio Hi-Point and our students,” said Superintendent Dr. Rick Smith. “We look forward to the future of education as we continue to provide our students a 21st century education for the modern-day workforce.”
An organizational meeting was held before the regularly scheduled board meeting. Anne Reames (Bellefontaine) and Matt McConnell (Triad) were unanimously voted Board President and Vice President, respectively. Paul McMahill (Mechanicsburg) was unanimously voted as Legislative Liaison. John Stanford (Benjamin Logan) was inducted as a new member.
Roger Moore (Upper Scioto Valley) was absent and is expected to be inducted as a new member at the next meeting.
Students recognized for helping others
During the meeting, Carter Aten (Multimedia Marketing), Victor Kep (Allied Health & Nursing) and Jimmy Stickley (Graham Satellite Agriculture) shared what students are doing for hurricane relief efforts in Texas.
Jimmy Stickley and the Graham Ohio Hi-Point Satellite FFA chapter went to Refugio, Texas in November to assist in the Hurricane Relief efforts. Students assisted in cleaning up the Refugio Fairgrounds, including weeding, hauling sheet metal and debris, and replacing roofs on buildings.
The Ohio Hi-Point campus in Bellefontaine adopted Ingleside High School in Ingleside, TX. As requested, students are collecting composition books for the Ingleside’s standard testing materials. In addition, students are writing encouraging notes in the books for students and staff.
Jenna Alspaugh, an Allied Health and Nursing senior from Mechanicsburg High School, and Stephen Dunham, an Outdoor Careers senior from Graham High School, were recognized as the January Students of the Month.
Laura Stackhouse, Special Education, Data, & Assessment Supervisor, was recognized as the January Staff Member of the Month.
In other board action:
· Heard the Legislative Report from Paul McMahill
· Approved the action items recommended by the Treasurer including the December 2017 Financial Statement, interest and investments, appropriation modifications, transfers, and advances, and appropriation increases and decreases
· Authorized the Treasurer to renew membership in the Ohio School Boards Association for 2018
· Approved employment of Vivian Brewer (Mt. Victory, OH) as a substitute cook
· Approved the textbook adoptions as presented
· Approved the internship agreements with IEG Plastics (Bellefontaine, OH) and Veritas Tavern (Columbus, OH)
· Approved the out-of-state professional development of Tanner Schoen (Indian Lake Agriculture Education instructor) to attend CASE Training in Manhattan, KS in June
· Approved the out-of-state study trips of Cole Carpenter (Outdoor Career instructor) to accompany six students competing at the National Collegiate Landscape Competition in Graham, NC in March; and Justin Lacher (Multimedia Marketing instructor) to accompany four students competing at the National BPA Leadership Conference and Competition in Dallas, TX in May
· Approved the contract with Madison-Champaign Education Service Center to provide certified physical education instruction for students unable to receive such instruction at their home school due to scheduling conflicts
The next Board of Education meeting is Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 7 p.m.
Kelsey Webb is Director of Communications and Public Relations at Ohio Hi-Point Career Center.