The Ohio Hi-Point Career Center Board of Education discussed the purchase of two new buses for the district during a regular schedule meeting Aug. 26.
The buses would replace Ohio Hi-Point’s current buses from the 1990s that need extensive maintenance work.
“The maintenance is beginning to cost more and more each year than what the bus is actually worth,” commented Ohio Hi-Point Treasurer Eric Adelsberger. “We have never bought new buses, so this is a better investment of our dollars as we think ahead five and 10 years down the road.”
Dr. Smith added the buses, which would cost around $82,000 each, would include a full warranty and maintenance costs. “The buses will be a more reliable source of transportation for our students going on study trips and going to competitions.”
The district will pull back on purchased services from Benjamin Logan High School to bus students and will need to fill multiple part-time bus driver positions for the school year.
Also during the meeting, the board approved employment of Eric Harman, West Liberty, as an Intervention Specialist and Kathleen Evans, Bellefontaine, and Mary Jaunzemis, Zanesfield, as cooks.
In other board action:
· Discussed the cafeteria making great strides in coming very close to breaking even from last year
· Heard a legislative report from Legislative Liaison, Warren Stevens (Urbana)
· Approved the report of the Treasurer including the July 2015 Financial Statement; interest and investments; and appropriation modifications, transfers and advances
· Accepted the bid of and awarded a contract to Westerheide Construction Co. of Sidney, OH for roofing repairs and replacements
· Accepted the resignation of Abbie Kennedy (Intervention Specialist) effective July 28, 2015 for personal reasons
· Approved supplemental contracts and extended days for approved staff members
· Approved the out-of-state study trip attendance of Donna Beale, Culinary Arts Instructor, and an additional chaperone to accompany 42 students visiting Sullivan University in Louisville, KY in October; and Laura Donnelly, Allied Health and Nursing II Instructor, to chaperone one student attending the HOSA Leadership Academy in Washington D.C. in September
· Approved the out-of-state competition attendance of Jon Smith, Triad Satellite Ag Instructor, to chaperone five students attending the Big E Livestock Evaluation CDE in West Springfield, MA in September
· Approved the out-of-state professional development attendance of Shalie Logan, Kenton Satellite Agriculture Education Instructor, to attend the National Association of Agricultural Educators (NAAE) Convention and accept the “Teachers Turn the Key” Award in New Orleans, LA in November
· Approved satellite program agreements with Urbana City Schools and Marysville Exempted Village Schools
· Approved the shared teacher agreement with Marysville Exempted Village Schools
· Approved the shared service agreement with Benjamin Logan Schools as presented
The next Board of Education meeting is Wednesday, September 23, 2015 at 7 p.m. at Ohio Hi-Point Career Center.
Submitted by the Ohio Hi-Point Career Center.