Indian Lake Elementary students got a glimpse of the post office’s past for the first time during their annual field trip to historical Logan County sites.
Third grade students recently made a stop at the newly restored Orchard Island Post Office on Indian Lake.
Indian Lake Historical Society members explained how the post office was used to serve residents and visitors to the region more than 100 years ago and shared the significance of the vintage postal machines on display.
Orchard Island Post Office Restoration Chairman Charlie Strete said, “A lot of Indian Lake history is gone now. There are very few pieces left. So it’s important to be able to share what is still here and encourage our children to carry it on.”
The students were able to weigh packages, use the old stamp cancelling device, touch the money order machine and slide envelopes into the old mailboxes. They also got to sit inside a vintage Model T outside the post office that is from the same period in history.
The Orchard Island Post Office was in operation on the nearby Wickers Hotel property from 1912 to 1926. In 2016, the Indian Lake Historical Society completed a restoration project and moved the building to what is now named “Post Office Island” between Orchard Island and Wolf Island.
Students each got to take with them a picture of the post office and a cancelled stamp from the time period.
Other stops on the Logan County Historical Sites third grade field trip included the Orr Mansion, Campbell Hill, Flatwood School, Zane Cabin and more.
Submitted by the Indian Lake school district.