The Ohio Hi-Point Board of Education welcomed a new board member during a regular board meeting Feb. 24.
Doug Chivington was sworn in as the newest Ohio Hi-Point Board of Education member. He represents Marysville Exempted Village Schools.
During the meeting, FCCLA students Erin Funk, Murphy Davis, Patricia Howell and Taylor Kemmere presented the group’s “Hanging with the Parents” initiative. The idea was created to involve more parents in the students’ education.
The FCCLA chapter is hosting a series of activities during the year for FCCLA students and their parents. The activities focus on the labs and curriculum as well as tie-in a project such as pumpkin carving or cooking and nutrition activities. The FCCLA chapter consists of Culinary Arts and Early Childhood Education students.
The board recognized Gabriella Livingston, an Allied Health & Nursing senior from Marysville High School, and Kenneth “KC” Jones, an Electronics Engineering senior from Triad High School, as Students of the Month for February.
In other action, the board:
· Heard the legislative report from Legislative Liaison Warren Stevens (Urbana)
· Approved the January 2016 Financial Statement; interest and investments; appropriation modifications, transfers and advances; and appropriation increases and decreases
· Approved the Treasurer to reestablish the Capital Improvement Fund for the purpose of maintaining facilities, providing for renovations and enhancing educational programs with a review of the funds at the close of the 2017-2018 school year
· Approved the reclassification of the purchase of district copiers from Business Equipment Co., in Springfield, Ohio
· Approved the donation of several laptops and projectors to Benjamin Logan and Marysville High School
· Approved the disposal of several pieces of equipment in the Printing and Graphics Lab for scrap value from J&J Printing Equipment
· Authorized the Treasurer to pay a stipend in-lieu of the single Health Savings Account for approved employees
· Approved employment of Cynthia Corwin (West Mansfield) as a substitute bus driver effective February 25, 2016
· Approved the out-of-state professional development of Aaron Thompson, USV Satellite Ag Instructor, to attend CASE Training for Food Science and Safety in Indianapolis, IN, in June
· Approved the out-of-state study trip attendance of Cole Carpenter, Outdoor Careers Instructor, to accompany four students attending the National Collegiate Landscape Competition at Mississippi State University in Starkville, MS, in March
· Approved a one-time stipend for certified staff and food service staff members working at the USV Summer Innovation Camp in June
· The next Board of Education meeting is Wednesday, March 23 at 7 p.m. in Room 102A in the high school.
Submitted by the Ohio Hi-Point Career Center.